Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday & Shark Week!





It's Book Talk Tuesday and SHARK WEEK! I was able to view a few shark week shows and I'm fascinated by them and a little scared! I'm also a 4th/5th grade Math & Science teacher, so I'm always looking for ways to integrate the Language Arts into my subjects. I have found that the non-fiction science books are what most students in these grades find interesting and are the most "checked out" books from my classroom library. I try to put lots of science non-fiction books on my classroom wish list during our school's Scholastic Book Fair events. So, over the years, I've gathered a collection of good non-fiction books that keep my students interested. The following is a great non-fiction book on SHARKS with lots of pictures (and reading)! This book also has an accompanying AR Quiz (Accelerated Reader Quiz), which my students always look for to get "credit" for reading.

In my classroom, I teach lessons to correlate with the Virginia State Standards of Learning. To follow Science Standard of Learning (SOL) number 4.5, (plant and animal adaptations) I had the students pick an animal and write about its adaptations as well as some other basic facts. Many of the students chose sharks as their animal! They were really into the research project! I found this FREEBIE TPT item by Angela Kanerva for the students to showcase their creature:

 You can visit her store and download this freebie too:

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Animal-Adaptations-Poster-Design-for-Upper-Elementary-420662

Go visit the other teacher blogs on what books they are showcasing!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment