Friday, October 24, 2014

Five for Friday October 24th

Hello again! I'm linking up with Kacey with Five for Friday for the first time! Let's see how this goes!

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/
 
 
 
This week I introduced order of operations for the first time and I used this NCTM Bingo game! All you need to play are the BINGO cards for each player and markers/chips to mark the bingo spots. Here is the complete lesson with the Bingo card Printable and the best part is that it is FREE: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Lesson.aspx?id=2583



To further extend the order of operation lesson, I found this awesome game! It does have some more difficult problems as you can see on the screen (exponents), but the students enjoyed the challenge. The game let's you play with one or two players. They will need clipboards and paper and pencil to work the problems out. The set up is like the game show Millionaire. I was surprised by how much the students wanted to play this game as an option during some extra time in the computer lab. I went ahead and added it to my classpage and many students chose this over some other popular online math games. Here is the link if you decide to check it out: http://www.math-play.com/Order-of-Operations-Millionaire/division-millionaire.html

 
 
Sandra Markle is an amazing author. I used almost all of her books to teach my Living Systems Unit and all about animal adaptations. This book pictured above is one of the many interesting and kid-friendly books that my students just loved! The illustrations are amazing and the facts are pretty interesting! Must read if you are teaching about animal adaptations and survival in your science unit!
 
 



I think I found this idea on Pinterest, but to teach about the difference between seed and spore dispersal this worked well. All you need is glitter and bigger seeds like acorns or sunflower seeds. I took the students on a nature hunt. Luckily we have an oak tree on the school property. I shared with the  students how seeds typically fall near the tree and usually don't travel far (unless squirrels, or water interfere) and how that lowers the ability for these seeds to actually become trees. I demonstrated spore dispersal by blowing glitter out of my hand and the students saw how much further those "spores" landed. We then discussed how these spores would have a better chance of survival vs. the seeds. Student's then searched for ferns with spores (which we found) and picked up a few acorns as well. Very fun outdoor activity!



 
 
Finally, this week we started our Matter unit. We began with learning the important vocabulary: Solid, liquid, and gas. We added notes to our interactive notebook and then we participated in a solid, liquid, gas magazine sort. Students searched through magazine and food ads and found all sorts of creative examples. There were a lot of student discussions about which pictures would work or not. Very successful lab! The solid,liquid, gas worksheet in the picture is, you guessed it, a FREEBIE from TPT! Get it here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Matter-Liquids-Solids-and-Gases-Sort-325039
 
 
Thank you all! Follow the linky party by clicking on the Five for Friday picture above!

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your teaching about number this week.
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! I will continue to post about Math & Science ideas :).

      Delete
  2. I picked the animal teeth book this summer and am going to use it with our animal unit, that starts Monday. Glad you like it. See you around. Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She has one on animal hair as well. The San Diego Zoo site is great for this unit! http://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/ My students enjoyed the LIVE Animal Cams!

      Delete